Griff House is a Victorian property situated in a quiet residential area within easy walking distance of Buxton town centre, Pavilion Gardens, the Opera House and many other local amenities. Some private off road parking is available. All bedrooms are located on the first and second floors, accessed only by stairs. Griff House was built in 1891 and retains many period features so we are limited in the changes we are able to make.
This access statement aims to describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests. Please contact us if you have any specific questions or requirements and we will do what we can to assist you.
Full address: Griff House, 2 Compton Road, Buxton SK17 9DN
Telephone: 01298 23628 or 07725 797640
Please call, email or text to discuss any mobility, dietary, allergen or other special needs prior to booking.
- The Market Place, with bus stops and a wide choice of shops, pubs and restaurants is approximately 400m. Buxton Railway Station is approximately 1,200m
- Griff House has a non-smoking policy throughout the building but guests are welcome to smoke on the garden patio
- Griff House is fitted with a full fire alarm system which is audible only. There are fire extinguishers on all floors.
- Wi-fi is available free to all guests and is accessed by the code contained in the room information booklet
- This Access Statement is available in larger print on request; we are unable to supply copies in Braille or languages other than English
Arrival and car parking facilities
Please advise of us your estimated arrival time so we can be here to welcome you. Our usual checking in time is between 3pm and 7pm but we can welcome you outside these times by prior request.
There is free private off-road parking for up to 4 cars, accessed from Green Lane. This area is flat tarmac. Road parking on both Green Lane and Compton Road is free, plentiful and well lit. Access to the front of Griff House from the car park is via a downward sloping path around to the left. There are two steps up to the front door.
From the pedestrian gate on the corner of Green Lane and Compton Road there is an uphill sloping path. There are two steps up to the front door.
We are happy to assist guests with their luggage.
- Entrance into the house is via a door into the porch and a door into the hall, with one step
- There is a doorbell on the external door
- On arrival, guests are escorted to their room and our facilities are explained.
- We are happy to assist guests with their luggage
- Bicycles can be stored in our secure garage.
- We do not have restricted opening hours and guests are given a main door key along with their room key. We request that guests show consideration to others at all times
- We have a selection of local information and books for guests to use.
- Dining room / Guest lounge
The dining room at Griff House is on the ground floor. There is a selection of magazines for guests to read. The lounge has two sofas, a low-level coffee table, television, DVD player, a selection of DVDs and games for guests’ use. The lounge is available for guests to use until midnight.
Griff House does not have any ground floor bedrooms. The bedrooms are located on the first and second floors and all have short pile carpet in the rooms and en-suite facilities with vinyl flooring.
Bedrooms are accessed via stairs from the entrance hall. There is a continuous flight of 18 stairs from the ground floor to the first floor with a handrail to one side.
We have two bedrooms on the first floor; one is a double with an en-suite which includes a bath with shower over. The other room has a double or twin beds. There is an en-suite shower room with walk in shower. All beds are accessible from both sides.
There are a further 17 stairs from the first floor to the second with a handrail to one side.
On the second floor we have three rooms, one double and two that can be double or twin. The double room has an en-suite shower room with walk in shower. One double / twin has an en-suite shower room with walk in shower. The other has an en-suite which includes a bath with shower over. The beds in all these rooms are accessible from both sides.
Each bedroom is equipped with a digital television with remote control and subtitle facility. The televisions have integral DVD players. Each bedroom is also equipped with a fridge.
In the event of fire, an alarm will sound. Evacuation procedures are displayed in each room.
We are happy to accept children of any age however we do not have any of our own. We therefore do not provide any equipment (cots, high chairs etc) and guests must bring anything they need with them.
All public areas, halls, stairs, landing, are well lit using ceiling lights.
There is short pile carpet on the stairs, hall and landing.
Each bedroom has an en-suite bathroom that includes a toilet. The ground floor does not have a public toilet, however there is a small ground floor toilet that can be made available to guests upon request.
Our garden is mostly laid to shrubs. There is a patio area with an arbour and a table and chairs, which is accessed via four steps.